Thursday, January 28, 2016

Yesterday Was A Good News Day

When I hit this detour, I started at a sprint.

For six weeks I went to a bunch of medical appointments, and did a ton of research. The biggest chore was just lining up the appointments, and dashing from one to the next. I regularly had two or three appointments per week. I brought a notebook to all my appointments (which I'm still using) to take notes, so I wouldn't lose the information I was being given.

It wasn't until I missed my first surgery date that I finally had time to catch my breath. And now I've had weeks of recovery time. There have been milestones along the way, but I haven't had to dedicate as many brain cycles to the cause. Lately, the pace has picked up a bit, as I research the use of Hormone Therapy (HT) combined with Radiation Therapy (RT) after Radical Prostatectomy (RP).

Yesterday was an important day - Day 30 after surgery. I got my first PSA test done, and the result was an awesome 0.04ng/mL. Any value  less than 0.10 is considered "undetectable", and achieving this low a PSA level is the goal of surgery. Mission accomplished.

Tomorrow is an important day. I drive to Chicago for my post-surgery follow-up. The recovery has gone well, so I don't expect any surprises. And tomorrow I'll get my first hormone treatment.

Yesterday I also met with the Radiation Oncologist who will manage my radiation treatments in April and May. We had a very reassuring discussion about the technology and treatment. This guy sounds like he knows his stuff, and he should be easy to work with. He also set me up with a consultation with a Medical Oncologist, where I expect to get an overview of where I stand, and all the treatment options that are available and appropriate.

Seatbelt fastened; I know it's going to be a bumpy ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment