Friday, February 19, 2016

Back In The Swing Of Things

I'm growing impatient waiting for the radiation treatments to begin.

Today marks 3-weeks since I got my shot of Lupron, and my testosterone level should be near zero for the remainder of 4 months. I'll be re-dosed at that time, and I currently expect the hormone treatment to continue for at least a few years.

So far, so good! Side effects are slight enough that I'm not even sure I'm feeling any.

I've got my exercise mojo back now, and that feels good. I didn't have any real trouble running, and I'm back up to doing a 5-mile run in just over 45 minutes. I'll push the pace a little further, but I'm happy with where I'm at. I also have been back in the pool, and it took no time at all to get my wind back. For my YMCA Survivor challenge the past two weeks I've done a single 5-mile run paired with two 2000-yard swims (netting a whopping 550 Survivor points for the week).

I've also returned to Tae Kwon Do, which I'm currently doing 3 nights per week, 2 of those teaching, and 1 as a student. I'm back up to about 4.5 hours per week of Tae Kwon Do. Throw in a few dog walks with TKD and the above, and I'm back to between 7 and 10 hours per week of activity, burning 4K to 5K Calories. If I can maintain this level of exercise throughout the hormone treatment and the radiation treatments coming in April and May, then I should be able to minimize any side effects.

On Monday I'll meet the medical oncologist to see what he can tell me about my condition and my treatments. I'm not quite sure what to expect from him, but I'm looking forward to learning something new.

Little enough is going on now in my fight against PC that I'm growing impatient waiting for the radiation treatments to begin. I feel like I'm ready, but I have another 6 weeks to wait. All for the good, though, because the family will gather for Easter at the end of March, and radiation therapy will begin the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment